Sunday, March 15, 2015

It's What's for Breakfast!


Our family recently discovered how simple granola is to make!  I make a batch just about every week.

For years, I have wanted to make granola, but never had success with any recipe I tried.  Then I met Emmilie Gaston.  This is her wonderful recipe. 

Ingredients:

4 Cups rolled oats
1 Cup slivered almonds
1/2 Cup butter
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350° F. Melt butter over low heat and dissolve brown sugar in the butter.  After it's completely dissolved, remove mixture from heat.  Allow to cool for a few minutes and then add vanilla extract.



Pour mixture over granola and almonds.  Spread over two lightly greased cookie sheets.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.


I found that with my dark cookie sheets, I need to lower my oven's temperature to 325°F and not exceed 15 minutes.  

If you would like, feel free to make fun additions like craisins, raisins, different nuts.  My family enjoys when I sprinkle a cup of coconut on top of one of the cookie sheets the last minute or so of baking.  The hint of toasted coconut is wonderful.  

I tend to mix it in with yogurt and fresh fruit for a breakfast parfait or to simply pour milk over some granola for a great cereal.  Who can resist this recipe?  Look at the fiber count!  Have a child that doesn't like to eat meat?  One half cup of this granola provides for 10% of the daily recommended iron based on a 2,000 calorie diet.  That is an incredible amount of iron from a great snack food.

This nutrition information is based on 1/2 cup serving.  

 Nutrition Information

~ Mrs. Wimberly






2 comments:

  1. Sounds easy and yummy. Love the title of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hope you get a chance to try it sometime!

      ~Mrs. Wimberly

      Delete