Thursday, March 12, 2015

All Natural, Inexpensive, Homemade Fabric Softener


So today's post is a trick that I learned about a year ago.  My husband and I decided it made sense for me to stay at home.  I figured that part of my job as a stay at home wife and mother meant that I needed to make some cut backs in household costs where possible.  By far, one of the biggest expenses we have is household chemicals.  Laundry detergent and fabric softener are two of the most consumed products in our house.  We have two adults, one teenager and an infant.  We run about 10 loads of laundry a week.

To replace the $10 bottle of Downy®, I simply throw citrus peel of any type along with some herbs into a quart jar and fill with white distilled vinegar.  Generally, I tend to have little clementine oranges and lemons on hand.  I mix the peel with mint or basil.  I give the leftover citrus fruit to KidR.



To use the concoction, I just pour 1/2 cup of the mix in our top loader (either in the dispenser or a fabric softener ball).  If you're lucky enough to have an HE washer, you'll only need 1/4 cup.  

An added bonus, especially if your water tends to scale everything?  It cleans your washer, too.  

Savings over the course of a year?

Downy = $ 90 ($10 every 6 weeks)
Vinegar = $ 26 ($2 every 4 weeks)

Total savings = $64

I need to immediately inform my husband how much I've saved us!  






0 comments:

Post a Comment